The College Rug
When my eldest headed off to college I want to make her something to remind her of home – I racked my brain and I knew I wanted to make something with her old T-shirts, as she had quite a collection, which she was leaving behind and didn’t wear any more.
So I did the usual and scoured Pinterest. One of the many skills I have is I can crochet and I had see a few crocheted rugs made with t-shirt material so I found a big needle , this project used a size 9 needle and got busy with the scissors cutting strips and joining them to make thread.
I found a gorgeous pattern on Tutsplus – HERE
Isn’t it pretty ? I plan on doing a pink one if I get the time but my daughters T-shirts where multi – coloured so multi-coloured it was.
I joined them together using the cut method which I will show you here
- Get your t-shirts this rug took seven in total and a denim pillow case 🙂
- Cut them into 1/2 inch strips.
- Cut a small notch about a quarter on and inch from the end.
- When you have to join strips join line them up .
- Line the holes you have made up.
- Pass the top strip around the back and back to the front as shown.
- If you have done it right they will be joined together 🙂
8.Crochet away 🙂
It took awhile I won’t lie and the longest part was cutting the T_shirts but this is the final rug the day it was finished t-shirt material can buckle but I found washing the whole thing in the washing machine flattened it out.
It is now in college with my girl covering dodgy stains on her dorm room carpet 🙂