Tradition Irish Food – Updated
I have a confession my very Irish family don’t like Bacon and Cabbage – there I said it – I know I should hand back my Irish passport right now !!
But they do like my Bacon, Chorizo Gratin with Fried Cabbage it is a modern and relatively healthy twist on an old classic.
Approx half a packet of Bacon – or 6/8 slice chopped into small pieces
Half a Chorizo sausage diced into pieces
1 Onion chopped finely
2 Cloves Garlic
1/2 tsp Thyme
Pepper and Salt for seasoning
1 kilo Potatoes, peeled and cut into slices approx 1/2cm thick.
Pot of Natural Yoghurt or if your not behaving yourself a pot of single cream
5oz of Grated Cheese we use low fat cheddar
A head of Cabbage – mine like Savoy
The How to Bit
- Preheat the oven to 200 C ( 400 F) or Gas Mark 6
- Pour the olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and when hot add the bacon and chorizo until crispy. Stir in the onion and garlic and thyme and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the onion is soft and golden. Keep the pan for later.
- Arrange a layer of potato slices on the bottom of an oven-proof dish season with salt and pepper the spread the cooked bacon, chorizo and onion on top of the potatoes, then pour half the natural yoghurt or cream on top, layer more potato slices on the top pour the other half of the yoghurt or cream over the top and then add the grated cheese .
- Cover with foil and place in the oven for 45 mins
- Prepare the cabbage in thin slices and steam to cook for about 15 mins
- Remove the foil and cook for a further 30-35 mins until crispy and golden.
Add a small amount of olive oil to the frying pan which will mix with the bacon and chorizo oils and lightly fry off the cabbage. If you are being healthy just serve it steamed.
Printable version HERE