Happy St Patrick’s Day
I may be a day early but the truth is tomorrow I will be celebrating with the rest of Ireland – so won’t be posting.
So I thought I would share one last Paddy’s day dinner idea with you all mainly because we had this today and I thought wow this is so Irish I have to share.
Beef and Stout Stew ( in a slow cooker)
- 2lb Stewing Beef
- 1 Onion
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- Potatoes , pealed and cut into cubes at least 1 per person
- Carrots pealed and chopped again – 1 per person
- Mushrooms -1 small punnet
- 1tbsp Cornflower
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- 1 cup of Stout ( Guinness )
- 1tbsp Olive oil
- In a pan fry the onions and the stewing beef in the olive oil until the beef is sealed and brown, add the mushrooms and garlic and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a jug mix the cornflower into a paste with a little of the beef stock and then add the stout and the rest of the beef stock to make a gravy.
- Put the beef, onions, mushrooms and garlic into the slow cooker, add the carrots and the cubed potato and pour over the stout gravy.
- Cook in the slow cooker for 5- 6 hours on low – this is great for putting on before you head out to the parade in the morning and coming home to a warm meal after. Serve with Crusty Bread.
Beef and Stout Pie
The great thing about this recipe is, if you leave out the potatoes and cook the night before ,you can put the beef and stout mixture into pie dishes and top with pre-made puff pastry and an egg wash and cook for 30-45 minutes and you have Beef and Stout Pie – serve with Mash Potatoes and Kale.
Two dishes from basically the same recipe 🙂
Printable Version available HERE
Happy St Patrick’s Day folks