I wanted to make cookies for Easter but have no Easter shapes in my collection – my bunny cutter seems to have hopped off somewhere never to be found ( if you find my bunny cutter please send it home to Cavan – thank you x)
Anyhow what can a girl do with no money- I decided to look through my stash of random cookie cutters and see what I could come up with.
First cutter to play with was a circle and one quick reshape and we could have Easter egg cookies.
I made up chocolate chip sugar cookies ( recipe below ) and decorate them with melted chocolate and sprinkles.
But I still had cookie mixture and a hankering for more adventurous cookies which is when I found the present cutter in my Christmas stash.
. I though the top looked like a carrot top so with brute force and ignorance I shaped the bottom to look more carrot-like.
Recipe For Sugar Cookies
8oz or 1 cup of softened butter
10 oz Caster sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
16 oz plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
* For Chocolate chip cookies add the chips when you add the flour. I used about 1/2 bag of Dr Oetker chocolate chips.
1. In a large bowl mix together the butter and the sugar until smooth, beat in the eggs and the vanilla, then add the flour and baking powder and mix with a dough hook or your hands until a dough is formed – chill in the fridge for an hour.
2. Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees C or 400 F and roll out you dough to about 1/4 thick and cut with your cookie cutter and place on a cookie tray.
3. Cook for 6- 8 minutes or until golden brown
4. Leave to cool before icing.
To ice use Royal Icing and make up with food colouring and water as per instructions. Pipe around the edges and then fill in the middles and remove air bubbles with a toothpick.
For Chocolate Eggs – Melt some chocolate in a bowl over boiling water and dip the cookies in the chocolate or paint on chocolate stripes then pour on the sprinkles before the chocolate hardens.
This is how the carrot cookies turned out – my icing skills aren’t that great yet but there isn’t a single cookie left which means they went down a treat.
And the Cookies would be brilliant pack up in bags for an Easter Party using Bunny Bait Toppers
So route though your supplies today and see what you can make 🙂