It is that time of year again when you pull out the warm winter jumpers and there is a chill in the air in the morning. It is also the time of year my kids seem to be struck down with colds and flu’s and in my youngest daughter’s case, a nasty throat infection.
What better than a tasty,soul-warming soup to fill the belly ? This recipe is great as it uses leftovers from a roast chicken so there is no waste and it is very economical.
Chicken and Butternut Squash soup
- A Butternut Squash (currently on special offer in Aldi until the 24th Sept for those on a budget)
- 1 Onion – finely chopped
- 4 small Carrots or 2/3 big ones- pealed and chopped into cubes.
- Leftover chicken – I used the meat we had after a roast chicken the night before.
- 3/4 pint of Chicken Stock either made from a cube or throw the roast chicken in a pot after you have finished with it with some herbs and make your own.
- 1/4 pint of water
- 1/2 tlbsp olive oil
- Salt, Pepper and Chilli flakes if you want an extra kick of warmth.
The How to Bit
1. Place the chopped onion in a pot with the olive oil and cook until softened.
2. Add in the butternut squash chopped into cubes and the carrots – sweat the vegetables on a medium heat to release the flavours.
3.Add the chicken stock, water and the cooked chicken and bring to the boil.
4.Season to flavour and turn the heat down and simmer the whole lot in a pot for half an hour or until the vegetables are soft.
5. Serve with fresh crust bread bread – recipe for that is here
If you prefer a veggie version leave out the chicken and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock it makes a gorgeous smooth soup.
I hope this soup warms you up on a cold Autumn day x