It is hard to believe it is nearly the end of September – the weather is glorious and the sun is shining and our rabbit Cookie is currently sunbathing while washing blows in the gentle breeze. I am loving this Indian summer we are getting and so are the plants it seems.
The courgettes which I thought were coming to an end, have all of a sudden started springing back into production. I will have to start pulling out the courgette recipes again – here.
Finally my Chilli plant which I rescued back in July has reward me with a whole heap of chilli peppers I have counted 12 so far and I plan on making a Tomato and Chilli Relish with them by adapting a recipe I have.
Tomato and Chilli Relish
- 600g ripe tomatoes skinned and chopped
- 1 tlb Olive oil
- 150g finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 Chilli peppers, finely diced
- 90g brown sugar
- 100ml of red or balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
The How to bit
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add onion and chillies and cook until soft then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
2. Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for about an hour until the mixture is thick.
3. Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
The great thing about this recipe is apparently you could use green tomatoes too, which is a great thing as my tomatoes, like the courgettes have gone into overdrive.
This picture was taken this morning – lots more tomatoes on the way.
Another plant that surprised me was the cucumber – I had struggled with them all year and was going to call them a right off but this gorgeous Indian summer is what they needed, because they are now growing like wildfire. I counted 7 on one plant this morning, admittedly they are still only baby cukes but I am still astounded by the turn around.
Lastly I am very happy to report that the pepper seedling I plant the other week are up and growing strong I was so happy with the success with the last ones in my sunny kitchen, which are still producing, that I hope to grow more.
What is the weather like where you are ? Is it strange for the time of year or are you in full Autumn ( or Spring if you are down under ) mode ? I am off to enjoy the afternoon sun long may this last.