I know I said I would be sharing a pasta dish but next week I will I promise but I couldn’t help but get excited about Valentine’s and once I started baking there was no stopping me so here are 4 Sweet Treats for your Valentine . And if you don’t have a Valentine make them for family and friends they will love you for it.
RED VELVET CAKE
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 20g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp red food colouring (I found that 40g of Dr Oetker Gel Food Colouring in Bright Red
- worked well)
- 240ml buttermilk
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
For the frosting:
- 600g icing sugar, sifted
- 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 250g cream cheese, cold
THE HOW TO BIT
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, and then gradually incorporate the eggs.
- Separately, combine the cocoa, red food colouring and vanilla (either paste or extract) to form a paste, and combine with the egg mixture.
- Gradually add the buttermilk and flour, adding a little of each at a time until fully combined.
- Add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar and ensure all ingredients are well mixed.
- Divide between 2 – 8 inch cake tins and bake for 20-25 mins in the oven.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, firstly whisk together the icing sugar and butter. I always find that whisking the butter first to loosen it up and then gradually adding the icing sugar works best and helps avoid the icing sugar going everywhere in a big cloud ! Add the cream cheese at the end and be careful not to over beat the mixture as it can go runny.
- When the cake is cooled, sandwich the layers together using the cream cheese frosting, and top with the remaining frosting and sprinkles.
RED VELVET PUSH POPS
I found these fabulous push pop cake kits in Dealz ( or Poundworld for you UK followers ) for €1.49 for two they were great value and I couldn’t wait to try them. For those overseas readers they are available from Amazon I believe.
To make them is easy
1. First bake some red velvet cupcakes using the recipe above ( or buy them if you are in a hurry ) and once cooled using the cutter provided cut out the cake to fit and slice it into three or four slices ( depends on how big you muffins are.
2. I decided I wanted jelly in between the cake so I made up a strawberry jelly, making it slightly thick and again using the cutter cut slices.
3. I sandwiched the whole lot together with Strawberry butter cream – try this recipe from The kitchen Magpie but add strawberry syrup instead of vanilla and a tiny bit of the red food colouring.
4. Finally top with whip cream and heart spinkles .
STRAWBERRY ROSE JELLY
I picked up my rose mould from Aldi but you can get the below in Amazon ( affiliate link )
Premier Housewares 6 Rose Cake Mould Tray, Red
To make these I made up some strawberry Jelly and added a couple of drops of rosewater essence – do not be heavy handed the essence is very strong and I made that mistake the first time. You could chop some strawberries and mix them through the jelly too for added texture. They taste like turkish delight and would go well with dark chocolate sauce.
RASPBERRY AND WHITE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
I made these yesterday on the request from my daughter and her friends, they were so good if I do say so myself, that there was none left by tea time and there was a resounding chorus of praise for these lovely muffins. In fact getting a picture of them was hard before the teenagers descended like locusts the smell from the oven was divine.
Ingredients ( makes 12)
- 300g (10 oz) Plain flour
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 salt
- 125g ( 4oz) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 275ml(9floz) Milk
- 125g ( 4oz) Raspberries – we used fresh
- 150g (5oz) White chocolate chopped.
THE HOW TO BIT
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C or 400F or Gas mark 6 .
2. Sieve the Flour and the baking powder and salt into a large bowl then add the sugar.
3. Crack the egg into a jug and add the oil and whisk until light and fluffy. Add the Milk to the mixture and whisk again.
4. Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture and fold in well.
5. Fold in the raspberries and chopped white chocolate.
6. Put into muffin cases in a muffin tray and bake in the oven for 20 /25 minutes or until golden.
7.Allow to cool on a muffin tray if the smell of them isn’t too tempting.