I love this time of year it is my favourite – always has been in fact Pooh bear and I share this joy on the first day of Autumn.
“Ah, it is. It’s the first day of autumn! A time for hot chocolatety mornings, and toasting marshmallow evenings, as best of all, leaping into *leaves*!”
So I am sharing my Ten things I love about Autumn.
1. I love Autumn walks in the Forest. I am so lucky to live where I do and have beautiful walks near me. I love taking the puppy for walks at this time of year, it is so beautiful and peaceful.
2. Autumn Colours are my favourite. Which could explain a lot of the decor in my house. Who doesn’t love those rich warm shades at this time of year ?
3. I love that it is Boot season again. I am a woman that loves her boots and the minute I can pull them back on again I am happy. I would wear them all year around if I could get away with it.
4. Last night I lit the fire for the first time since Spring, I love the smell of a real fire , I love snuggling up by a fire in fact the only thing I don’t like is cleaning them but currently my fire is a bit of a cheat because it is a Fake gas fire – That is just what was here when we moved in, you can still toast marshmallows on it though.
5. I love that it is soup time again – I love a good soup and there is nothing like coming home to a big bowl of Chicken and Butternut Squash Soup
and fresh baked bread.
6. I love Jumpers and Cardies – the bigger and cosier, the better as far as I am concerned – I have one that I love that is biscuit coloured , goes down to my knees and my Mum says ” Makes me look like a Digestive Biscuit” I don’t care I like Digestive Biscuits !! I plan on knitting this Cardie in my future it is gorgeous.
7. I love harvest time – a time for picking all those things that you planted during the summer and enjoying the fruits of your labour and making things to last through the winter – like my Tomato and Chilli relish. It makes all the hard work in the garden worth it.
Tomato and Chilli Relish
- 600g ripe tomatoes skinned and chopped
- 1 tlb Olive oil
- 150g finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 Chilli peppers, finely diced
- 90g brown sugar
- 100ml of red or balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
The How to bit
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add onion and chillies and cook until soft then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
2. Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for about an hour until the mixture is thick.
3. Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
8. I also love foraging at this time of year – it is perfect time of year to collect Blackberries, Crab apples and Elderberries and make yummy recipes like Easy Blackberry and Basil Jam
9. Halloween – I didn’t always love this holiday if I am honest but since learning more about the origins and also since having kids I have learnt to embrace it.
Did you know that Samhain, the ancient Celtic Festival that we now call Halloween, originated just down the road from us in Co. Meath more than 2,000 years ago ? Samhain marks the end of the old Celtic Year and the beginning of the New Year. And there are some wonderful festivals going on like The Spirits of Meath and Virginia’s very own Pumpkin Festival
Also what better excuse to make Mummy cakes and lanterns.
10. Hot chocolate is back on the menu – after a long summer of fruit smoothies and Iced teas and juices -finally you can indulge again in Hot chocolate in Autumn or Pumpkin Latte if that is your thing.
What is your favourite time of year ? Are you a Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter lover ?
I am off for a walk in the woods and to pick some blackberries and yes I have my boots and comfy jumper on. Thank you for checking out Snapshot and Snippets.